Guest Post: Do Liquid Solar Covers Really Work?
by Matt Giovanisci, Swim University on July 20th, 2012

My Experiment: Do Liquid Solar Covers Really Work?

I’ve been in the pool industry for many years and have sold my fair share of traditional solar covers throughout that time. When we started carrying the liquid solar cover in my store, I thought to myself, “this is the greatest thing ever!” I hated putting on and taking off MY solar cover on my 28 foot round above ground pool. It’s big, it’s bulky, it’s a flat-out pain in the... you know what.

Once we received the liquid solar covers, I put them right on the front counter and sold them to everyone. I mean, it’s a product that keeps the heat in your pool! It’s genius.

So for years, I sold these, but never used them on my own pool. That pool is long gone (due to my younger siblings attempting to ice skate on it during the winter), and I never got the chance to see if the liquid solar cover really worked.

The Idea

Last month, I recorded a podcast with Monique Nelson, marketing director and the main blogger here, about liquid solar covers. We mainly talked about the science behind the product and the benefits of using it.

After the interview Monique and I were chatting about a few things and we had an idea to do a small-scale experiment to prove that the liquid actually worked to reduce evaporation and increase the temperature of the water. She sent me out a couple of EcoSavrs™ and a bottle of HeatSavr™ for the experiment.

That weekend, I set out to conduct a visual experiment, in my pool-less backyard, to prove that liquid solar covers work!

The Experiment

For this project I needed a few supplies. I planned on filming the experiment so I needed to think visual. First, how can I show water evaporation on a small scale?

I went to a local restaurant and asked if I could borrow two clear containers that they use to making crispy and delicious hot wings. Sure enough, they had two 4-quart containers that were identical. However, I knew that the clear water in the clear containers would be hard to see on video, so I used blue food coloring to enhance the visual.

My plan was simple. Take two containers side by side, fill them with the same amount of water at the exact same temperature, and add a few drops of the HeatSavr™ liquid to only one of those containers. The other container would be left alone to evaporate.

I left the containers outside for 48 (really hot) hours. During the evening after the time had elapsed, I checked the evaporation levels. To be honest, they were not as significant as I thought, but when I measured the temperatures of both containers, the container with the HeatSavr liquid was 5 degrees warmer! I was impressed that in just 48 hours you could see that difference.

Also, I knew the video would be boring unless I added some sort of “fun.” So I went and bought myself a lab coat and fake horn-rimmed glasses to make me look a little more “official.”

I’m a beer homebrewer, so I already owned the erlenmeyer flask and beakers that I used in the beginning of the video (I was channeling my recent obsession with the cinematography of Breaking Bad).

All in all, I thought the video was a huge success. If I had the resources, I would love to take two identical 16’x32’ inground pools side-by-side and conduct the same experiment. Only this time, we could measure its effects with the filter system and other pool chemicals. Perhaps down the road.

The Video

Finally, here is the video I put together and sent to Monique. Hope you enjoy it.

The Testimonial

As a bonus, the good people at InTheSwim.com asked its Twitter and Facebook follower to film a video testimonial for a contest they are holding. I was sitting at my desk when I received the tweet, and it just so happened that I had a EcoSavr™ on my desk from when I was editing the video. I decided to create my own video for them, and as of this minute, I am the ONLY person to submit a video for their contest. They said I set the bar too high, whoops!

That $100 gift card for winning won’t do me any good in a pool-less backyard...
If you have any questions about the method to my madness, or general pool heating questions, please submit them in the comment section below.

Happy Swimming!

Matt Giovanisci is the creator of Swim University and has over 15 years of experience in the swimming pool and hot tub industry. He is also an award winning web designer and has been featured on Martha Stewart Radio as a pool & spa expert.  Follow Me On Twitter | Like Us On Facebook | Got Pinterest?

Posted in Guest Postings    Tagged with liquid solar covers, pool industry, solar covers, traditional solar covers, liquid solar cover, solar cover, above ground pool, heat in your pool, pool, heatsavr, ecosavrs, reduce evaporation, increase temperature of water, monique nelson, do liquid solar covers really work

34 Comments

Wilson Grant - August 6th, 2012 at 4:04 AM
The video explains everything. I'm going to try the liquid solar cover.
Monique Nelson - August 6th, 2012 at 12:23 PM
That's great to hear! Make sure you visit our site again to share your own success story! http://liquidpoolcovers.com/testimonialprogram
Frenks - August 24th, 2012 at 9:00 PM
Great post. I really enjoyed the video. Well-explained.

Monique Nelson - August 27th, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Thanks!
Chrysa - August 25th, 2012 at 6:57 PM
Interesting! Then I guess I should use liquid solar cover for my pool from now on. Thanks for the new insight!
Monique Nelson - August 27th, 2012 at 10:42 AM
I'm glad that you were able to find our liquid pool covers as a solution for your pool! I hope you enjoy!
Name - September 5th, 2012 at 12:12 AM
hi - what happens to the liquid solar cover when filter is running? I assume it gets sucked into skimmer and gets stuck in sand filter, which then clogs up sand filter or gets flushed out in backwash - correct?
Monique Nelson - September 6th, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Hi, thanks for the great question! The liquid pool cover certainly does get sucked through the skimmer and through your filtration system when it is running, however it will not clog anything at all.

The best filters on the market typically filter down to about 2.0 microns - the molecular size of Heatsavr, the liquid cover, is only 0.8 microns, so it will flow right through your filter media to be re-introduced into the pool water, reforming the protective layer.

It does break down naturally (biodegrade) however, which is why we recommend a consistent dosage.

I hope this helps answer your questions!
Name - September 12th, 2012 at 7:42 PM
That's great news - thank you.
Al Metty - October 18th, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Trying to covince my property manager in Key West that we can limit the evaporation in a couple of pools but he is a hard sell. Can you point me to any tests that have been done by thrid parties or folks we can contact to discuss
Monique Nelson - October 19th, 2012 at 1:10 PM
Al,
I completely understand your position! We rely very heavily on the results and shared stories from our happy customers for just that reason! You can find a variety of testimonials on our page: http://liquidpoolcovers.com/our-customers.htm

Once you are there you can refine your search a bit better based on the type of pool you are operating.

There are also test studies shared coming from 3rd party organizations who did careful testing on our liquid pool covers, looking for results on heat retention, water conservation and energy savings.

I hope that helps, but feel free to email with any other questions: [email protected]
Sunplay - March 4th, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Wow! I have never heard of liquid pool covers until now. This is something we'll have to consider.
Hot Tub Covers Calgary - August 6th, 2013 at 7:31 AM
Really very nice and useful post shared. Thanks for this.
L Bass - April 22nd, 2014 at 4:49 PM
Can I use a liquid solar cover in addition to a regular solar cover on my pool?
Tony Kalkounis - June 16th, 2014 at 8:43 PM
Should you turn motor to pool off to make planet for pool
Monique Nelson - June 18th, 2014 at 12:56 PM
Our products are designed to flow through your circulation system, so you do not have to turn off your motor, pump or filtration system in order for the liquid cover to work effectively. Best of luck to you!
Monique Nelson - June 18th, 2014 at 12:56 PM
Sharmin - February 24th, 2015 at 6:19 PM
can you please name these third part sites that have done testing and why haven't you done and published your own?
Monique Nelson - September 28th, 2015 at 12:11 PM
Sharmin,

We have discovered over the past 25 years or so that consumers don't trust the word of a manufacturer as much as they trust unbiased, 3rd party sources of information. We have done our own research and stand firmly behind our products and business, but we share the results from outside sources who have nothing to gain by being totally honest! You can find these studies throughout our site, but here is a great place to start: http://liquidpoolcovers.com/efficiency-results.htm
michelle - May 5th, 2015 at 5:51 PM
I want to know what about the bugs and leaves to stay out of the pool
Monique Nelson - September 28th, 2015 at 12:03 PM
Michelle,

Liquid pool covers won't stop debris from getting in your pool, no, but part of their appeal is that they leave your pool looking beautiful and open at all times, while still staying covered and protected from heat and water loss!
Ted Thayer - June 12th, 2015 at 6:18 PM
Hi! I just bought some of your product. Our pool water is rusty (well water) so we do tend to backwash the filter daily or every other day. This spews water out a pipe into the backyard. Will this practice require us to replenish the solar cover more often than once a month?
Monique Nelson - September 28th, 2015 at 12:05 PM
Ted,
If you are using a monthly application, I am guessing you have one of our Ecosavr fish. The beauty of these guys is that they release only a small amount of liquid pool cover each day, so you will actually be getting daily application automatically! As long as your pool is around 15,000 gallons or less (approximately 400 square feet), one Ecosavr fish will work just fine!
Ghlnk Pool Covers - September 22nd, 2015 at 12:32 AM
How Long Does Swimming Pool Solar Covers Last?
Monique Nelson - September 28th, 2015 at 12:08 PM
GhInk,

Liquid pool covers are biodegradable, so they start to break down as soon as they are exposed to UV light. We have done extensive research to show that a daily application works BEST, which can be accomplished through our Ecosavr fish, by adding product directly to the pool water once a day, or using the HS115 Automatic Metering System to apply automatically. That being said, we have also discovered that when a residential pool adds a higher dosage, the product will last with very good (but not BEST) efficiency for about a week, so you can also use a weekly dosage. I would not recommend waiting any longer than one week to reapply. Our Ecosavr fish only has to be replaced once a month, but that is because of the patented valve in the fin of the fish, which allows the liquid cover to slowly leak out over the course of the month, while still applying product daily!
Monique Nelson - September 28th, 2015 at 12:08 PM
GhInk,

sherrie - November 21st, 2015 at 7:53 AM
does this product affect a salt water chlorine generator?
Monique Nelson, Flexible Solutions - April 26th, 2016 at 10:35 AM
Not at all! Our liquid pool covers are pH neutral and won't interact with any of the other chemicals or equipment you may have, so you can use them without altering any of your previous pool care habits.
JD - January 17th, 2016 at 9:32 PM
Can I use the liquid pool cover in conjunction with a traditional solar bubble blanket for even better results or will it stick to my blanket and get removed?
Monique Nelson, Flexible Solutions - April 26th, 2016 at 10:38 AM
Yes, you can absolutely use our liquid pool covers at the same time as you use a traditional solar bubble blanket. Trace amounts of the product may come off on the blanket when you remove it, but it won't be noticeable and it won't harm your cover in any way. By reapplying Heatsavr on a daily or weekly basis, you will be replacing any product that may be lost through the natural biodegration process, or by coming off in tiny amounts on the cover. If you use Ecosavr, it consistently replaces itself through the patented slow-drip valve which allows the product to work effectively over a one month period. I hope this helps!
Monique Nelson, Flexible Solutions - April 26th, 2016 at 10:38 AM
Julie Jones - July 22nd, 2016 at 10:27 AM
I live out in the country with a lot of trees, lot of leaves and falling debris. A lot! Will the liquid solar covers work with the plastic cover that came with my Intex pool? Or will that covers designed to block leaves and debris, also block the sun and cause the liquid solar products to not work?
Monique Nelson, Flexible Solutions - September 20th, 2016 at 11:02 AM
Julie,
Great question! Liquid pool covers will work just fine with the plastic, debris preventing cover that came with your swimming pool. When you are using your pool, you can swim confidently knowing that, even though your traditional cover is off to the side somewhere, your pool is still covered, retaining and gaining heat from the sun!
Monique Nelson, Flexible Solutions - September 20th, 2016 at 11:02 AM